Friday, December 28, 2012

Finding the Dress. Part I.

My Dress. A lovely Watters design modified by the even lovelier Trinh Nguyen of I Do Bridal and my imagination.  Photography by Mollie Wetta
This weekend marks the anniversary of a very special day to me, the day my husband got down on one knee. You may be noticing your Facebook feed is full of engagement announcements this time of year, and that makes sense since according to the 2011 American Wedding Study, the majority of proposals occur in December. So, this weekend seems like a great one to talk dresses!

Looking back at my childhood, I rarely remember imagining my wedding dress. I remember having a fake wedding and dressing up as a princess but I didn’t ever recall dwelling on a wedding dress. So, when my man popped the question, I didn’t have that perfect dress in mind just yet. Opening bridal magazines was so overwhelming. How to decide with so many lovely options out there? I love the classic look, the artsy look, the vintage look... you get the idea.

What ended up helping me find my dress was really thinking of what was most important to me. I wanted to be comfortable. I wanted to feel like a “real woman” not like a princess. I wanted the dress to fit the venue. Most importantly, I wanted the dress to fit my personality.

I ended up finding an awesome dress and then modifying it to fit my personality. I look back now and love the fact that I did this instead of buying off the rack. Doing it this way allowed me to match my dress to me and made me feel very original. I  recommend anyone to be adventurous and cut into a discontinued dress the way I did! Chances are you’ll end up with something lovely!

I’ll share all the details with you in the next post but until then, here are some swoon worthy dresses I found on my journey that I think you’ll love:

Tara Keely Style TK2053
Lazaro Style LZ3004
Blush Style 1104
This one is extra awesome because it's on Ruffled Recycle Your Wedding
This Lazaro Gown Style LZ3910
Jim Hjelm Style JH8810
Lazaro Style LZ3908 

Happy Engagement Season! Stay tuned for the details on how I created my favorite dress ever in Part II coming soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment